Temple Nickname: Desert Ryderz
Temple Motto: “RUK RUK” Yeah!
Al Faruk Temple No. 145 owes its beginnings to our thirteenth Imperial Potentate, Noble (Dr.) Raymond Ellis Jackson. In 1939, the Shriners, Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Inc. (A.E.A.O.N.M.S., Inc.) elected Raymond to lead the organization as Imperial Potentate. He served in that capacity until 1955. He literally revived the organization. He edited its journal, "The Pyramid" and established several programs to invigorate the membership. As the chief officer of the Shriners, he was instrumental in establishing financial support for two research programs that were relevant to the health of Blacks. One was at Howard University in the field of Tuberculosis and the other was at Roswell Memorial Cancer Research Center in Buffalo.
Noble (Dr.) Raymond Ellis Jackson, who was re-elected to the office of Imperial Potentate for another three years at the 44th Annual Session of the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, held in Indianapolis, IN (1944). Noble (Dr.) Raymond E. Jackson was 89 years of age at the time of his death on February 14, 1990. He is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery.
Although, at this time it is not known of their origins in the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Nobles Mystic Shrine in 1945, three Nobles J.R. Gunn, J.D. Pierce, and A.W. Foster came together to form a Shrine Temple in Columbus, GA; today known as Al Faruk Temple No. 145. These three men, along with another whom is not known at the time of this article, from various temples and possibly serving their community in various occupations or serving their country as Soldiers in the United States Army assigned to the United States Infantry Center and Fort Benning; now the United States Army Maneuver Center of Excellence and Ft Benning, GA. These Nobles wanted to bring the long and rich heritage of Prince Hall Shrinedom to the Muscogee and Chattahoochee County, and later on Russell County areas in hopes to enrich and enlighten the community from within.
On May 6, 1945 they petitioned for authorization to meet and form a Shrine Temple in Columbus, GA, and during a time when men of color were not afforded many of the same rights and privileges of our counter-parts in Shrine, Freemasonry, and within the community which they lived but with perseverance, dedication, and commitment to wanting to practice as Prince Hall Shriners, the task went on to become a reality in August of that same year, when they were granted a charter at the Imperial Session.
The following Nobles were installed as the initial officers of Al Faruk Temple No. 145; Noble J. R. Gunn as Illustrious Potentate, Noble J. D. Pierce as Chief Rabban, Noble A.W. Foster as Assistant Rabban, and the following Noble completed the officers and members: Nobles W. M. Thomas, J. S. Stanback, James Fletcher, D. P. Nesbitt, Hallie Thomas, Jacob Harrison, Morris Jackson, Samuel Devaugh, C. J. Jackson, Leo Wright, Willie Dandy and Dover Roberts.
Since its beginning in 1945, Al Faruk Temple has been at the forefront of many charitable crusades within the community of Columbus, GA, Ft Benning, GA and Phenix City, AL; also known as the Tri-City Area.