PRINCE HALL SHRINEDOM
embraces all of the basic fundamental concepts of the Masonic Order, but is more
colorful, with a broader spectrum of visibility by the manner in which it
dispenses charity in the community, and the care for its own.
John George Jones, the founder, is said to have been
introduced to the ritualistic mysteries of the Order by Ali Rofeit Pasha, Deputy
and representative from the Grand Council of Arabia, during the World's
Colombian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.
Shrinedom, because of its
pageantry, has on occasions been referred to as the "Display" House in Masonry,
causing men to sometimes join the prerequisite Houses solely with the intent on
becoming a Shriner.
There are 224 Constituent
Temples throughout the Imperial Domain (the World), with a membership of over
25,000 - and growing.
Shrinedom is thought of as a
Fraternal, Social, and Charitable Organization: FRATERNAL in the sense of using
passwords and symbols to remind the members to ever strive for inner
self-improvement; SOCIAL from the standpoint of the enjoyment of good times
within its own ranks; and CHARITABLE for its unselfish giving of goods and
services on both the local and national level.
Heading the list of
recipients is the NAACP, the Legal Defense Fund, the Urban League, and United
Negro College Fund, along with Annual Grants to several institutions of higher
learning and hospitals throughout the land, for medical and other research
Substantial grants are
awarded to colleges annually to supplement the education of economically
deprived youth, along with a program of financial aid to fight drugs, crime and
delinquency. There is also a national scholarship grant program for young ladies
between the ages of 17 and 24 to attend colleges and universities of their
choice. They also strongly endorse the Assault on Illiteracy (AOIP), amid an
engagement in development programs with Third World Countries.
The Shrine Organization is
108 years old and takes great pride in its Auxiliary, which is composed of
wives, sisters, mothers and daughters of the membership - officially styled, the
Imperial Court Daughters of Isis.
They are 90 years old and
mirror, in some respect, the activities of the parent body. Both share offices
in the organization's Headquarters Building located in Memphis, Tennessee.
Shrine is headed by the Imperial Potentate, and the Daughters by the Imperial
Commandress. The red Fez is worn by the men and the white Fez by the women, both
of whom are community oriented - and definitely on the move!
the Imperial Council Website
The Imperial Court, Daughters of Isis, is an
auxiliary of female family members of Prince Hall Shriners, and was formally
organized at the annual session of the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine, held in Detroit, Michigan, on August 24, 1910.
The establishment of the Imperial Court was a
result of a meeting held in 1909, when women representing the Daughters of Isis
from Maryland, Rhode Island and Washington, DC, met with a committee of Prince
Hall Shriners and requested the formation and recognition of an organization for
their women relatives.
The purpose of the Imperial Court, Daughters of Isis,
is to unite the relatives of all members of the A.E.A.O.N.M.S. into one common
bond of friendship, to practice charity and benevolence, and to inculcate honor
and integrity as symbolized in the legend of the Egyptian queen, the goddess
The Imperial Court, Daughters of Isis, a charitable
and benevolent organization, stresses the development of powerful leaders,
encourages health awareness among youth and adults, provides services to help
disabled and senior citizens, provides for effective networking among its
members and other organizations, recognizes and celebrates the historic and
current achievement of African American women, exerts positive influence and
utilizes the tool of role modeling for youth, teenage mothers, high school and
college students, and disseminates information for educational opportunities and
career planning to youth and young adults.
Specific program thrusts include education and
scholarship, health, mentoring our youth and senior citizens, book bags and
school supplies for adopted schools, and the Isiserettes/Youth. In addition to
volunteer activities, financial donations are made annually to College
Fund/UNCF, scholarships, Health and Medical Research, American Cancer Society,
Mental Retardation, NAACP, National Foundation (Birth Defects), HIV/AIDS
Awareness and other civic and special interests.
This organization of 12 courts at its inception has
grown to almost 200 courts located in the United States, Canada, the Bahamas,
Germany, Italy and Japan.
*Obtained from the Imperial Court Website
Who we are and where we came from:
Al Faruk Temple No. 145 owes its beginnings
to our thirteenth Imperial Potentate, Noble (Dr.) Raymond Ellis Jackson. In
1939, the Shriners, Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine,
Inc. (A.E.A.O.N.M.S., Inc.) elected Raymond to lead the organization as Imperial
Potentate. He served in that capacity until 1955. He literally revived the
organization. He edited its journal, "The Pyramid" and established several
programs to invigorate the membership. As the chief officer of the Shriners, he
was instrumental in establishing financial support for two research programs
that were relevant to the health of Blacks. One was at Howard University in the
field of Tuberculosis and the other was at Roswell Memorial Cancer Research
Center in Buffalo.
Noble Jackson was born August 3, 1900 in
Buffalo, New York to Samuel and Harriet Jackson. He was a member of Musician's
Local No. 533 and co-founder of the Musician's Club of Buffalo. He served as the
only African-American national representative of the American Federation of
Musicians from 1936 to the.year after he became Imperial Potentate. Jackson was
raised in 1921, a member of St. John's Lodge No. 16 of Buffalo, and served as
Worshipful Master in 1928.
After joining Bison Consistory No. 28
and-Hadji Temple No. 61 in 1922, he served as Illustrious Potentate in 1929. He
was appointed the District Deputy Grand Lecturer for 1928 and 1929; elected
Grand Senior Warden in 1930; Deputy Grand Master in 1931; and at age 34, in
1934, was elected the youngest Grand Master in the history of New York.
Noble (Dr.) Raymond Ellis Jackson, who was
re-elected to the office of Imperial Potentate for another three years at the
44th Annual Session of the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order of the Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine, held in Indianapolis, IN (1944). Noble (Dr.) Raymond E. Jackson
was 89 years of age at the time of his death on February 14, 1990. He is buried
at Forest Lawn Cemetery.
Although, at this time it is not known of
their origins in the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Nobles Mystic Shrine in 1945, three
Nobles J.R. Gunn, J.D. Pierce, and A.W. Foster came together to form a Shrine
Temple in Columbus, GA; today known as Al Faruk Temple No. 145. These three men,
along with another whom is not known at the time of this article, from various
temples and possibly serving their community in various occupations or serving
their country as Soldiers in the United States Army assigned to the United
States Infantry Center and Fort Benning; now the United States Army Maneuver
Center of Excellence and Ft Benning, GA. These Nobles wanted to bring the long
and rich heritage of Prince Hall Shrinedom to the Muscogee and Chattahoochee
County, and later on Russell County areas in hopes to enrich and enlighten the
community from within.
On May 6, 1945 they petitioned for authorization to
meet and form a Shrine Temple in Columbus, GA, and during a time when men of
color were not afforded many of the same rights and privileges of our
counter-parts in Shrine, Freemasonry, and within the community which they lived
but with perseverance, dedication, and commitment to wanting to practice as
Prince Hall Shriners, the task went on to become a reality in August of that
same year, when they were granted a charter at the Imperial Session. Al Faruk
Temple No. 145 History Oasis of Columbus, Desert of Georgia
The following Nobles were installed as the initial
officers of Al Faruk Temple No. 145; Noble J. R. Gunn as Illustrious Potentate,
Noble J. D. Pierce as Chief Rabban, Noble A.W. Foster as Assistant Rabban, and
the following Noble completed the officers and members: Nobles W. M. Thomas, J.
S. Stanback, James Fletcher, D. P. Nesbitt, Hallie Thomas, Jacob Harrison,
Morris Jackson, Samuel Devaugh, C. J. Jackson, Leo Wright, Willie Dandy and
Since its beginning in 1945, Al Faruk Temple has been
at the forefront of many charitable crusades within the community of Columbus,
GA, Ft Benning, GA and Phenix City, AL; also known as the Tri-City Area.
Jerome Williams Clown Unit
National Diabetes Initiative Buck Drops
Sponsorship of the Ronald McDonald House
Charities of West Georgia
Participation in the Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr Annual Observance
Toys for Tots Give-Away at Midtown
Annual Book Bag/School Supplies
Muscogee Manor and Rehabilitation Center Bingo
Honors and Temple Awards:
2003 Illustrious Potentate of Year,
Desert of Georgia (PP J. B. King)
2013 Most Improved Temple, Desert of
2013 Illustrious Potentate of Year, Desert of
Georgia (PP Carl Jerome Williams)
As with most Masonic organizations we have a
female auxiliary, and for Al Faruk Temple No. 145 that organization is Al Faruk
Court No. 94.
Al Faruk Court was Re-Chartered on the 30th day of
Seb, Osiris 5055 which corresponds to the 24th day of November 1971 under
then Imperial Commandress Gladys W. Dixon, #1 (1970 - 1972). Dt. Laney Weldon
was appointed as the first Illustrious Commandress with Dt. Lucy Jackson who was
the only member from the original court appointed as the Deputy of the Oasis of
The original chartered members of Al Faruk
Court are as follows:
Mittie P. Nesbitt*
Willie Pearl Floyd*
Louvenia Hudson Robinson*
Jettie N. Lights
The first three Daughters created after the
Court was Re-Chartered were:
Dt. Louise Harris who went on to serve as
the sixth Illustrious Commandress was an active participant in all Court
activities until the Black Camel of Death called her home.
The second Illustrious Commandress was Dt. Marion
Armstrong with Dt. Jettie N. Lights serving as the third. Dt. Lights went on to
become the Deputy of the Oasis where she served in that role until 1984 when she
was appointed as Imperial Deputy of the Desert of Georgia, and would serve in
that position for 13 years. Dt. Lights is still an active member of Al Faruk
Court #94 and the Desert of Georgia.
Al Faruk Court #94 is currently gathering information
in an attempt to perserve its rich history; however we believe the following
information we have already obtained will give you an idea of the leadership
components of this dynamic Court.
Dt. Thelma Sumbry was bestowed the honors of Past
Commandress by receiving the degree with no fee.
Within our court, we also have the honor of having Dt.
Teena S. Delgado who demitted to Al Faruk from Aswan Court No. 192, Desert of
Western Europe. Dt. Delgado is a Past Imperial Commandress of the Imperial
Court, Auxiliary to the A.E.A.O.N.M.S. and served during the years of 2002 -
The members of Al Faruk Temple No. 145 and Al Faruk
Court No. 94 would like to thank you in advance for reading about our 112 years,
and counting, of history. Please check back from time as we are going to
continually update our history as more becomes available.
As We Cross the Sands,
Noble Anthony Davis, #145,
31st Illustrious Potentate
Dt. Terry Turner, #94, 22nd